Directory change notifications

Home Forums PFM Developer Support Directory change notifications

This topic contains 2 posts, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Joe Lowe 9 months, 2 weeks.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • alot1

Hi,

I would like to use PFM to implement a virtual drive.
    Is there a way to inform apps that use FindFirstChangeNotification (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa364417(v=vs.85).aspx) for folders in this virtual drive, about changes in the underling data? I.e. if Pfm.FormatterDispatch implementation detected a change in the underlying data and I want to inform file system consumers about the change.

Thank you,
    Alexey.

• This topic was modified 10 months by  alot1.

Joe Lowe

Local changes: changes made to the file system through the local OS file system API (CreateFile(), open(), etc).

Remote changes: changes made to the file system outside of the local OS file system API, perhaps on a remote machine, or perhaps through direct access to the database or whatever is storing the file system.

Local change notifications work today on all platforms.

Remote change notifications are not currently supported. Remote changes are supported and network file systems can be implemented with PFM, you just don’t get automatic explorer window refreshes.

Remote change notifications may be implemented in PFM on Windows in the future. But, there is currently no timetable for this.

Remote change notifications are not feasible on Mac and Linux. On Mac, Finder watches timestamps on folders and refreshes folder views on window focus changes. On Linux the user generally hits F5 to refresh a folder view, same as on Windows.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.