Silent Install Pismo File Mount

Home Forums PFM Developer Support Silent Install Pismo File Mount

This topic contains 12 posts, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew Morgan 3 months, 1 week.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
  • jgstew

I was looking for documentation on how to silently install Pismo File Mount through the command line. Pismo File Mount seems to use a proprietary installer, and running it with /? only shows an option for silent uninstall, but not install.

Is there an option to silently install Pismo File Mount? If not, could one be created?

Joe Lowe

The silent install switch was removed early on to make it less convenient to violate the distribution restrictions in the end-user license. The switch is back in the last few builds. Try “-q”.

Keep in mind that the PFM Audit Package end-user license does not allow redistribution. The expectation is that applications utilizing the PFM system extensions will be distributed with a branded PFM core package.

EDIT:
    Correction, the “-q” hasn’t made it into a release build yet. Watch for it in a future build.

dlstump

This is what i get when I use the -q switch :

jgstew

In my case I’m IT-Support trying to enable the installation of PFM by itself on user’s systems through our management software on machines that do not have admin rights to install it themselves. Is this acceptable, or does this count as redistribution?

Joe Lowe

Copying the software for deployment within an organization is considered “use” and not considered “distribution”. At least this is the intent of the EULA.

dlstump

This is my use of it as well.

Joe, would you have an idea of when the next release will be planned that would contain this switch? I would love to integrate this into our processes instead of engineering another solution. This tool is so great for taking out a good number of steps and I appreciate the work put into it.

jgstew

Thank you for the clarification. I thought that was the case, but I thought it would be useful to know for sure.

harrisont

Copying the software for deployment within an organization is considered “use” and not considered “distribution”. At least this is the intent of the EULA.

Clarifying this in the EULA would be helpful. I was looking at using Pismo, but thought I couldn’t use it due the being unable to deploy it in my organization until I happened to see this forum post.

Joe Lowe

The PFM Audit Package installer has changed since this post was originally made, but silent install is still supported.

To test from a cmd prompt:
    pfmap-186-win.exe -h | more
    pfmap-186-win.exe install | more
    pfmap-186-win.exe install > install.log

The “| more” bit is just to get stdout from the GUI installer app to the console so you can see output, not necessary to do this in your install script or whatever.

The new installer is not manifested “run as administrator”. You need to insure the process launching it is already elevated or it will not work.

Andrew Morgan

Hi, sorry to resurrect an old thread but it seems to be the most relevant.

We need to deploy PFMAP 184* using our deployment solution but we’re encountering an issue.

When run manually from an admin cmd prompt, “pfmap-184-win.exe install” does indeed silently install the product.

However, when we attempt to install this using our deployment solution the installation does not complete. It basically hangs on that step and does not proceed.

The product does install. It’s listed in Add/Remove Programs and the context menus and start menu items are present. But the installation executable doesn’t exit, so there are no exit codes in order for our deployment tool to receive so it can move to the next step of our deployment.

Any advice on how we can resolve this would be appreciated.

* we need to deploy this version as it’s the version the customer has approved.

Joe Lowe

@Andrew

Does the most recent release have the same issue?

If so, e-mail me what is needed to repro the issue and I will look at it.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week by  Joe Lowe.

Andrew Morgan

Hi Joe

Yeah I tried the latest release too … same outcome.

How familiar are you with Microsoft Deployment Toolkit? I’m using MDT 2013 to install the app onto Win10 Enterprise 1607 x64, using the install command “pfmap-<version>-win.exe install”.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.