Sudden onset of trouble writing to any files in any .pfo

Home Forums PFM Audit Package End User Support Sudden onset of trouble writing to any files in any .pfo

This topic contains 5 posts, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jesse Thompson 2 weeks, 4 days.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • HappMacDonald

I’ve been using Prismo File Mount Audit Package successfully for a few months now (only version I’ve ever used being 191), and it’s been working great. But starting just in the past week or so I now can no longer write (almost) any data into any of my .pfo files.

This reproduces on two different Windows 10 machines, and for the simplest test I just create a brand new .pfo file like this.

1: logged in as ordinary user

2: I create a new private folder .pfo in a location my user has ideal permissions to write to and with no encryption like so:
    Screenshot of creating new .pfo with simplest settings

3: I mount said .pfo with all of the default mount options (default mount options used to work and allow read/write just peachy) like so:
    Accept default mount options

4: you are presented a file explorer window showing the empty contents of new .pfo file. So, alternate-click the empty contents and select New > Text Document.

5: It will create one named “New Text Document.txt” (this appears to be the only way I have yet seen to cause any changes to the contents of any .pfo file since the problems began), and drop you into a file rename action.

6: Take windows up on this offer and try to rename file to “q.txt”. As with any other write operation, you are not allowed to and file remains with it’s original name:
    Reeeejected!

The exact error message appears to differ between the two computers I’ve tested this on so far, the computer I’m on now offers this message:
    “The action could not be completed because the file is open in windows explorer”

and if you try to edit the contents of any files or copy in new files or save files from a web browser or anything you’ll get variants of the same error from whichever program tries to commit said changes to disk.

On my home computer every detail of the problem is functionally the same, except that the error usually focuses on something invalid about the filename such as “file name too long”. VScode gives a hybrid complaint like “filename invalid or too long or resource busy” (these errors are from memory since I’m not at that computer presently). But the details like “can create brand new text file, but can’t rename it, cannot edit other files or add new files” are the same.

Luckily, this effect has not prevented me from copying data OUT of my .pfo mounts and safely onto ordinary disk, and AFAICT all of the data remains intact after being copied out. But it does prevent me from actually storing any new data in any .pfo file at all. :/

I have tried running PFM with elevated permissions, running my file explorer process and/or editing software (and/or cygwin trying to rename files) with elevated permissions, completely uninstalling PFM 191 and re-installing from scratch, rebooting computer, no change in behavior yet.

Please advise? Thank you, and aside from this issue congratulations on making such a solid application suite. 😀

Joe Lowe

I have not had any similar trouble reports. I just performed an install on a newly configured Win 10 test system, full windows update, things work as expected.

I would guess you are seeing some kind of configuration specific compatibility issue on your systems. To help with this, I would need to know how to reproduce the issue.

HappMacDonald

Well, here’s my system information.

To reproduce, I just uninstall PFM, install a fresh new copy of 191, then use the exact steps I detailed in my first post.

Both computers I’ve reproduced this on are live workstations, not brand new win10 installs or anything like that. I don’t have any spare Win10 licences to try installing on a virtual machine for further testing, but if you’re seeing clean results then I’d have to imagine I’d see the same in that environment.

So the question becomes what can I look for in either of my environments to see what’s different between my machines that do reproduce and yours that does not? I’ve got a couple of pretty standard Win10 installs, not a lot of custom changes down deep anywhere. And nothing exciting that I can recall happening over the past week or two that would lead your software to go from working to not working, save perhaps Windows automatic updates (which did happen in the interim). :/

John Paquette

My guess is that this is some kind of software compatibility issue. To diagnose, a list of installed programs is probably required.

Also, you say this problem is “sudden onset”. What has happened to your system(s) lately that might be a cause of this problem?

Also, you may wish to do a more detailed analysis of exactly what appears to be wrong with the mounted PFO. What other things are you unable/able to do with it? Can you copy files into it?

Jesse Thompson

> To diagnose, a list of installed programs is probably required.

I’ve got that here, this is on my home computer:

https://pastebin.com/raw/4h9c0pGA

I posted about this issue on Nov 19, so none of that software installed after the 19 is relevant.

Sonarr got installed on the 18th, but I’ve been noticing the problem for longer than that on this machine, and the other machine exhibiting a similar problem has had Sonarr installed for years prior to even starting to productively use PFM.

The LG Mobile Drivers on Nov 8 are the best temporal correlation, but the other computer I started to have similar problems on almost simultaneously has never had that software installed on it. I’d get a list from that computer as well, but that’s easier to do from the office so I’ll hold off unless somebody can clarify how that would help in light of the information already to hand.

> Also, you say this problem is “sudden onset”. What has happened to your system(s) lately that might be a cause of this problem?

nothing exciting that I can recall happening over the past week or two that would lead PFM to go from working to not working, save perhaps Windows automatic updates (which did happen in the interim).

> Also, you may wish to do a more detailed analysis of exactly what appears to be wrong with the mounted PFO. What other things are you unable/able to do with it? Can you copy files into it?

I cannot copy files into it, on either computer.

I can “Create new text file” but cannot rename said text file from “New Text Document.txt”.

I can “Create new folder”, and I *can* rename said folder after creation.

The changes that it does allow me to complete appear to persist between mount sessions, I have not yet seen any change revert after unmount or anything of that nature, nor have I seen any previously stored data be corrupted or go missing. All volumes are just effectively treated as “read only” with weird exceptions and a complicated error message on write attempts, despite my screenshots listed at start of post clearly showing that I do not check the “force readonly mount” option.

Furthermore, the “Everybody access option” appears to have no effect when same user account that mounts tries to access and make changes to drive. I have tried all three settings of that with no change to symptom, and I don’t have any other user accounts to log into and try that on either machine anyhow.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days by  Jesse Thompson. Reason: added a clarification
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.